I'm gonna wash that gray right out of my hair!
Many of you may remember that tune and, like myself, many of you have probably tried everything possible to do just that. So many products out there contain chemicals that inevitably harm the scalp and damage your hair. So what do you do when your hair is in need of some help? What do you do when you are tired of spending all your money on products that do not live up to their hype?
DIY with essential oils are the answer to your prayers my friends. I have been working with these oils for over 20 years and, although I can still say I occasionally sneak some drugstore remedies into my regime, nothing beats homemade beauty products.
My favorite essential oil hair rinse is so versatile anyone and everyone can use it. I use this rinse to aid in darkening my gray hair, relieving my itchy scalp and softening my hair.
#1: Essential Oil Hair Rinse
You will need: Sage, Rosemary and Lavender essential oils. (I tend to stick with the Now Foods Essential Oils as they have never let me down, smell wonderful and are cost effective.) These three essential oils are a must have for your collection as they have many benefits.
Sage will add volume to fine hair and is also known to promote hair growth and darken gray hair. Rosemary is extremely clarifying and will add shine to dull hair by removing build-up, while also stimulating hair growth. Lavender will not only make this blend smell magnificent, it is an antibacterial, thus helping to relieve an itchy flaky scalp while also softening your hair.
How to use a DIY Hair Rinse:
There are a couple different ways you can use this rinse.
1) You can either use it on its own, applying it just before you get out of the shower
2) You can apply it after you shampoo and condition your hair. After you have thoroughly saturated your hair give it one final rinse with cool water. Rinsing your hair with cool water aids in closing the hair follicles allowing for the oils to be preserved and it helps to soothe an irritated scalp.
I sometimes add Apple Cider Vinegar as it aids in balancing out the pH in your scalp and hair. I know what you are thinking: ACV smells nasty!!! Well have no fear - those fragrant essential oils will mask the smell!
- 16 oz. spray bottle or a Mason Jar (I like to use the spray bottle as I often will spray my scalp when it is really irritated and leave it on overnight)
- 15 drops of Rosemary Essential oil
- 15 drops of Lavender Essential oil
- 15 drops of Sage Essential oil
- 12 oz. Distilled water (depending on if you use the ACV)
- 2oz. Apple Cider Vinegar (optional)
- Mix all of the ingredients and shake well.
- Apply using the method of your choosing (see above)
*If you have any extra you can store it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
#2: Hair Thickener Remedy
My favorite hair thickener remedy has two of the same essential oils used in the hair rinse recipe: Sage and Rosemary. This recipe also adds the benefits (and the wonderful aroma) of cedarwood essential oil. Cedarwood essential oil is another essential oil that aids in stimulating hair growth. Cedarwood also helps to slow the progression of hair loss and is great for those who have alopecia!
- 1½ ounces jojoba oil
- 1½ ounces grapeseed oil
- 30 drops pure cedarwood essential oil
- 30 drops pure rosemary essential oil
- 30 drops pure sage essential oil
- Place base of jojoba and grapeseed oils into jar. Add the drops of cedarwood, rosemary and sage.
- Blend well by placing the lid securely on the jar and shaking vigorously.
- Apply generously and massage into scalp and hair, wet or dry, once a day or 3 times a week.
- Leave in hair for at least 20 minutes (longer if you can); or apply before bed and leave in overnight. You may want to use a towel or shower cap to prevent staining your bed linens. Shampoo, rinse and style as usual.
If you want a dramatic hair darkening, banish the gray away remedy. You can make a simple hair tonic using a plastic spray bottle with distilled water and add approximately 8-20 drops of the sage (depending on the size spray bottle.) Use this solution twice a day on your roots without rinsing it out. It truly does work wonders if you commit to it!
Stay tuned for more essential oil recipes that will keep the bugs away!
- Aroma Therapy
- Baby & Kids
- Beauty & Personal Care
- Black Seed Oil
- Blood Sugar Control
- Bone & Joint Health
- Brain & Memory
- Digestive Aids
- Eye / Brain & Memory
- Heart & Cardiovascular
- Immune Support
- Liver & Detox
- Men's Health
- Multi Vitamin
- Omega-3 / Flax Oil
- Pet Care
- Protein Supplement
- Raw Food & Beverage
- Sleep / Stress & Anxiety
- Sports & Fitness
- Weight Management
- Women's Health